Today’s smartphones can serve as a Swiss Army Knife of technology. People use them for just about everything—from banking to shopping, from business to leisure. They check their emails, catch up with friends on social networks, order products, pay bills, watch videos, read books, find directions—you name it.
Mobile Internet traffic is growing rapidly. This trend is expected to continue. In fact, it is estimated that by 2022, mobile internet use will surpass traditional PCs by more than 50%. Interested in learning more fascinating facts about mobile internet traffic?
In this article, you will learn 22 fascinating statistics about mobile internet traffic.
History of Mobile Internet
Growth of Internet Users
In 1995 – the number stood at 16 million.
In 2005 – already a little over 1 billion.
In 2011 – the number of internet users grew to 2.267 billion.
In 2019 – the number of internet users surpassed the 4.346 billion mark
Today, there are more than 5 billion internet users in the world.
Where is the world of mobile internet heading? How will it evolve in the future? Let’s look at some facts and statistics which can help us determine the future of mobile internet.
1. The number of mobile phone users has surpassed the 29 billion mark. (GSMA Intelligence)
2. There are 37 billion smartphone users in the world right now.(Bank My Cell)
3. There will be 33 billion smartphone users by 2023 (Bank My Cell)
6. Mobile phones generate 61% of total internet traffic. (StatCounter)
7. The daily media consumption on mobile internet has grown by 504% since 2011.(Quartz)
8. Global mobile data traffic will reach 49 exabytes per month by 2022. (Statista)
9. Global smartphone penetration has reached 03% in 2020
10. 6% of smartphone users will use their mobile phones to access the internet in 2025 (CNBC)
11. The number of mobile internet users will surpass 1 million by 2023 in the US alone. (Statista)
12. 55% of pageviews came from mobile devices. (Statista)
13. In 2021, US adults spent 4 hours and 23 minutes per day on their mobile devices (Statista)
14. Consumer usage of mobile phones has gone up by 5% in 2021 (Oberlo)
15. By 2023, users will spend 4 hours and 35 minutes per day on their mobile devices.(Statista)
16. 64% of Google searches are conducted through mobile devices.(Sistrix)
17. Mobile ecommerce sales account for 9% of all online purchases. (Oberlo)
18. Total mobile ecommerce sales has reached $4.1 trillion in 2021. (Statista)
19. Global mobile advertising spending surpassed $223 billion in 2021 (Statista)
20. Mobile search ad revenue is expected to hit the $21.55 billion mark in 2022, in the US alone. (Statista)
21. There were 33 billion mobile video viewers in 2021. (Statista)
22. 70% of YouTube videos are watched on mobile devices.(0berlo)
Which is the most specific mobile internet traffic statistics in your opinion? Share it with us in the comments section below.